Thursday, October 25, 2012

NaNoWriMo


This year, I intend to participate in NaNoWriMo again.

I don't know how many people know what NaNoWriMo is, so I'll start with the basics. NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write a brand new, 50,000 word piece of fiction writing solely in the month of November. The word goal is set at 50,000 because to be considered a novel, a piece of writing must be at least 50,000 words (this is about the length of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or The Great Gatsby). You can writing any fiction genre, your novel just has to be at 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th.
In NaNoWriMo, there are generally considered two types of WriMos (participants in NaNoWriMo), planners and pantsers. Planners spend the month (or more) before November planning out the plot, subplots,  settings, characters, outlining, setting out time, and generally prepping everything. Pantsers, on the other hand, write by the seat of their pants, hence the name. They don't plan, and let the plot and characters evolve as the month progresses.
I'm a planner to the extreme. I've already filled out half a notebook with outlining, character plans and a million other things that probably won't even end up in my draft. But I figure with all the school work I'm going to be doing, I don't have time to be figuring out the plot as I write.

I'm posting all of this for two reasons. First, writing is one of my biggest passions, and so is Nano. The rush that comes with immersing yourself that entirely into writing for a month is fantastic. The second is related to the fact that I'm a planner. To make sure that I'm spending all possible time in November writing, I intend to post sections of my NaNo novel on this blog as I write it.

Here's the website if you're curious (or if you're feeling inspired to join me?). I almost forgot, if you decide to try Nano, talk to me and we can be "Writing Buddies" on the site.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,

    So I noticed that Maddie also wrote about this. Perhaps we could start a NaNoWriMo club for the month of November? I wonder if any other students would be interested in trying this?

    ReplyDelete